Monday, September 10, 2012

Bill

It was 1983 and I had just returned from a summer at a convent.  I had wrestled with God all summer and had finally given God control of my life.  I was letting Him be in charge and trusting Him with my future.

I must say the re-entry into society was challenging for me.  I missed the sisters immensely and I was so grateful for the summer experience I had.  I decided to visit an old friend of mine, because I knew he would understand the struggle I was having.  I drove from Denver to Fort Collins to spend the evening with Dave and meet his new fiance.

When I arrived at Dave's, I soon met his roommates and was quite impressed with one named Bill.  Bill was tall, thin, tan, very fit, had blond curls and amazing tennis legs.  He was beautiful alright!  I enjoyed talking to him and looking at him, but thought he was waaay out of my league.  Before the evening was over, we had gone to see a movie, had a pillow fight, and he printed off a resume for me.  I distinctly remember looking at him and thinking, you never know who will end up being your husband.

Bill and I ended up having long conversations over the phone and had a couple of dates before he left for California to do his internship.  We decided to do Bible studies through the mail while he was gone.  Our feelings for each other deepened.  I flew out to visit him and he flew out to visit me.  At one point we were both thinking we needed to break up, but ended up kissing instead :)

To make a long story short, we ended up dating for a year and a half, became engaged and 6 months later we were married.  Two years later we had Bethany and three years later we had Sarah.  Since then our family has expanded and we even have two grandchildren.

When I think of Bill's shoes, I think of two different pair.  I think of his flip-flops that he wears as soon as he is off work.  Bill has a servant's heart and he quickly throws on his flip-flops if he hears that anyone needs help.  We call him "McGyver," because he can fix just about anything, whether he has the right parts or not.  As McGyver says, "If you don't have the right equipment for the job, you just have to make it yourself."

I also think of his biking shoes.  Bill is always there for everyone's needs, but has decided to train for one of his bucket list goals.  In a few weeks Bill will be participating in a 100 mile bike race.  His shoes represent his willingness to work hard, to train, and then follow through.  I am proud of him and all of the work he has been doing to get ready.  He doesn't have tennis legs in those shoes anymore, but he has some pretty amazing biking legs!  

No comments:

Post a Comment